Dear Fellow Teachers
Good Evening!
With the dawn of Saturday, we all have successfully
completed another eventful week together.
For me this journey is becoming more and more
enriching with every passing week.
This week was also no exception.
The two topics which came up for discussion were
both lively and relevant my context.
I was so puzzled with the instructions that I clarified
with Janine whether we are required to discuss both or only one.
The confusion occurred because one topic dealt with
my real classroom and the other one “Learner Autonomy” has something to do with
my idealized notions.
As a student, I always thought that why we the
students don’t get the freedom to select our teacher, our subject and the way
of evaluation? Why we are always subjected to torture through out the year?
Then I became a Teacher and continued to do the same
with my students but with a positive thought that one day the situation will
change.
This lively discussion throughout the week gave me
enough inputs to try out this at least in my class. This will be a shocking
change for my students if I do it directly. So I will try to implement it in
stages so that they won’t even realize that things are changing.
The other topic of ‘One Computer Class’ is quite
dear to me because I am handling it in my own clumsy methods for the last 2-3
years.
My students feel happy with the way things move on
because they don’t have any other option.
But the links, activities and lessons suggested by
my friends are really worth remembering and trying out. So their inputs have
also given me something to broaden my teaching sphere.
All these inputs will be beneficial to my students
(A) in developing (B) their different language skills while doing regular tasks
in the Class (C) and thus sharpen their overall performance (D) by 75%.
Rest is fine.
So happy weekend to all.
Shirish More
Hi Shrish
ReplyDeleteYes, it's the end of another very informative week. We did learn a lot form the readings that were given to us.
I've heard of learner autonomy but, in Sheu's article, he cites Smith and states that there has to be an interconnection between teacher and learner autonomy. It really opened my eyes. It's true when you think about it. Just like encouraging our students to be independent learners and to be more responsible for their own learning, we teachers too should be more responsible in our own teaching development. I guess we are all doing it, but to see it in black and white was quite surprising.
I agree with you when you say that we need to introduce this concept gradually to our students so that they would not notice the change and automatically become autonomous learners at the end of the day. Any change should be implemented step by step to avoid a lot of negative reactions and here, it will certainly help our weaker students to gain confidence slowly and thereby improve in their language skills.
Cheers!
Shashinie